Research Topics in User Interface Design
Read the paper(s) corresponding to the topic for the day. Well before class, formulate a discussion point or question.
3D UIs and Augmented Reality
1. S Feiner. Augmented reality: A new way of seeing. Scientific American, 286(4), April 2002, 34-41.
2. J Lee, A Olwal, H Ishii, and C Boulanger. SpaceTop: integrating 2D and spatial 3D interactions in a see-through desktop environment. In Proc. ACM CHI 2013. New York, NY, USA, 189-192.
1. F Gemperle, C Kasabach, J Stivoric, M Bauer, R Martin. Design for wearability. Wearable Computers, 1998. Digest of Papers. Oct. 1998, 116 – 122.
T Starner. The Challenges of Wearable Computing: Part 1. IEEE Micro 21, 4 (July 2001), 44-52.
T Starner. The Challenges of Wearable Computing: Part 2. IEEE Micro 21, 4 (July 2001), 54-67.
NUIs and Multi-Touch Devices
Required Book Excerpt
1. D Wigdor, D Wixon. Brave NUI World. Morgan Kaufman (Excerpt).
Computing on the Body
1. D Morris, TS Saponas, D Tan. Emerging Input Techniques for Always-Available Mobile Interaction. Foundations and Trends in HCI. V. 4 Iss 4, 2010. 245 – 316.
2. S Harrison, D Tan, and D Morris. Skinput: appropriating the body as an input surface. In Proc. ACM CHI 2010.